- The ADVANCES programme is open to students who meet the following minimum conditions
- Bachelor degree in social work (or closely related subject – especially if social work does not exist as a university subject in your country)
- Professional license as social worker (if required by law in your country)
- One year of full-time work or two years of part time/voluntary work experience in the social sector
- English competence equivalent to 6.5 Academic IELTS (including a minimum of 6.0 in Speaking and Writing and minimum of 5.5 in Listening and Reading
When you want to apply you must upload:
Eligible degree subjects
If social work is not offered in your country as a university degree programme, then a related subject can be considered, including:
Social pedagogy, sociology, social administration, social policy, community development, humanitarian aid, children’s studies, special education, development studies, human rights
The following subjects are not eligible because they do not focus on knowledge and skills for tackling the social causes of marginalisation and direct work with vulnerable people:
Medicine, health, psychology, nursing, sports, law, science, geography, teaching, economics, humanities, arts, politics, business administration, human resources
Your professional full time/part time/voluntary experience must have included direct work with clients and users of social services. This is because the course focuses on applied practice skills and contains a high element of reflection on past experience. Applicants who have worked in other areas (e.g. project management, policy) will not be considered eligible.
English language requirements
All students who enroll on ADVANCES must hold an IELTS (Academic) qualification that is valid until at least October 2020. You can apply to ADVANCES without proof of your English proficiency, but obtaining the required certificate will be a condition of any offer and would need to be completed by May, 2020.
SPECIAL COVID-19 MEASURES
Due to COVID-19, the ADVANCES programme will for the autum 2020 intake accept the following language tests:
- IELTS Indicator test
- TOEFL Home Edition test
The requirements for the IELTS Indicator test will be the same as for the ordinary test: minimum IELTS 6.5 overall, 6.0 in Writing and Speaking, 5.5 in Listening and Reading.
The requirements for the TOEFL Home Edition test will be: minimum overall 90 points, Reading: minimum 18, Listening: minimum 17, Speaking: minimum 22, Writing: minimum 24.
New DEADLINE for completing the language test is: AUGUST 3, 2020
Please note that the ADVANCES programme reserves the rights to make successful completion of IELTS or TOEFL a condition of any offer.