Name: John Ddembe
Countries where you have worked or studied:
Ethiopia and Kenya
Universities and qualifications before ADVANCES:
- Uganda Martyrs’ University – Bachelors of Arts with Education
- Kampala International University – Masters of Arts in Development Studies
Previous professional experience/Fields of social work practice:
I previously worked as a community development consultant in Somalia and Ethiopia. This entailed inter alia; community mapping, conducting baseline surveys, needs assessment, psycho-socio support, protection and livelihood programming, monitoring and evaluation.
Three things that you most value about the ADVANCES programme:
- Diversity of the Programme
- International perspectives to social work
- The networking possibilities that it creates – Awesome!
Message for other social workers thinking about applying for a place on ADVANCES:
With the ADVANCES programme, social work comes to life again as one is challenged to reflect and rethink social work strategy.
Topic of research project:
An analysis of older people's experiences and conceptualizations of community to promote well-being in Warsaw, Poland
Where were you based for Semester 4?
Current position and place of work:
- Social Research Consultant – Great lakes Centre for Research, Kampala, Uganda.
- Private Business manager, Kampala, Uganda.
Any other jobs since graduating ADVANCES:
- Smart Vision Consultancy – Programme Consultant, Nairobi, Kenya
- Medicines du Monde, Programme manager, Nairobi, Kenya